Kings of War/Warhammer - Orcs and Goblins, Part IV


The final day for my greenskin project will be October 7, on which day I will take them again to Nerima to play a final game or two before setting them up on my display case for who knows how long. Two or three games doesn't seem to be enough of a pay-off for all the money and time I've spent on them, but such is the hobby. I've derived a quiet satisfaction at seeing them progress from a mass of plastic orcs to something resembling an army. They still won't be complete by the time I shelf them, but at least I can say I have played them.

Orcs in progress.

My attention is already wandering further afield from the Orcs, and I've been finding myself assembling other armies. First it was a Tomb Kings army, and then it was the High Elves. I've got to stop this. I don't know if this hobby is a means of procrastinating for me - further psychoanalysis is required - but building an army is like trying to drink the ocean, especially when you have a few of them. Boundaries are needed. I bought Rising Sun and all its expansions in Australia when I went home this August, and that has increased my miniature count by about 100. I want to make a fantasy samurai army one day, and I bought the game for this end since it contains so many fantastic looking miniatures. I've also been contemplating getting the Doom board game, because the demon miniatures inside would make a great strike force for Deadzone. This is despite the fact that I already have Star Saga, which I acquired midyear, and which I still haven't played. Not to mention all the Raging Heroes models, and the Deadzone proxy project, which has gone dead in the water.

Rising Sun miniatures.

Get a grip, son.

So October 7 will bring a definitive end to the greenskin project, but they will at least go out with a few more games under their belt before they retire. I played an introductory game of KoW with Gareth at my home last Sunday, in which the greenskins lost. I don't feel too bad, though, because the greenskins were taking it easy on my Empire, which I lent to Gareth to use. It was 1500+ points of Empire (Kingdoms of Men) versus 1300+ points of Orcs (I didn't field my Giant) and we almost won. I don't know why I keep trying to lure Gareth to play 28 mm games, especially when he shows such disdain for it. In fact, that game will be the last time I play fantasy with him. I'd rather not play at all than pander to people who don't really want to play. I felt like a cheap salesman hawking my wares hoping for a prospective customer.

First home game ever, using a sliding door as a makeshift table.

Instead I'll focus my time on playing with folks who actually like fantasy wargaming. This is no slight against Gareth - when it comes to historical games he is the man, and I should place him squarely in that category. No more ill-advised tourist detours into fantasy or sci-fi. But I like fictional settings more, so I should strengthen my ties with my fantasy brothers, both Western and Japanese. This Sunday I'll be playing my second game of The Ninth Age (T9A) with Rodion, and possibly some Warhammer Warband games with Steve as well. For T9A I'll be taking my greenskins for a 4000 point game. Whoa. That's a lot of painting between now and Sunday, but I'm actually really excited. It expands the scope of my greenskin army dramatically beyond my KoW force. It also gives me a chance to field almost my entire collection. By the time the greenskin project wraps up I'm hoping to show a before and after photo at the conclusion of this series to see how far I've come.


Comments